Sunday, October 4, 2015

Draped cardigan McCall M7055



So, I saw this pattern and immediately fell in love with it. I bought it last year and have just been waiting to find the right material. I finally found a dark teal knit that I decided would be great.

Today, as I waited LDS General Conference and later football, I started sewing it. I was really excited to get it done since we are finally getting some cooler weather. It came together very quickly and easily. The most time consuming part was just pressing and pinning the hem line.



After completing I tried it on. Something just didn't seem right. So I had my daughter try it on just in case it was just me. She felt the same way. I think the shoulder placement and the overall body drape is awkward. This is not a cardigan you can wrap up in. It just doesn't drape properly for that. I am a little disappointed by that.




While I think this is a cute pattern, you may want to try going up a size or two if you are looking for a wrappable cardigan. I will still enjoy it, and the fabric was inexpensive since I took advantage of a sale and coupons. However, overall I can't give a fabulous review as I was hoping to. If you make this cardigan and find a trick to fixing the fit, please let me know. I'd love to have one in a pretty plum. Thanks for stopping by.


2 comments:

  1. I went to the pattern site and looked at the enlarged photos and line drawings. The problem is the armhole seam. The seam is about 1.5 inches too far from the shoulder joint, the cap is longer to make up for this, I suspect. This has sleeves but the armhole for both the sleeveless (high cut armhole) and sleeved version is the same. The model is having the same problem as you if you look carefully. Find a shirt/blouse pattern in your pattern stash that fits well and use that and the sleeve cap and bicep area for your template. Tape scrap tissue to your pattern, and trace a correct armhole, use center front and shoulder seam as guides for new armhole seam (that will lower the armhole a little--good) and redraw the sleeve, using the sleeve as a template tapering to the original sleeve length and width if you wish. This cardigan should not be wasted. Just turn it into a sleeveless version again, using some of the fabric from the sleeves for binding strips.

    ReplyDelete