Monday, August 1, 2016

Second shirt dress

So, I mentioned before I was doing a sew along on McCalls Facebook page. I decided to use pattern 6696 and previously posted about the first draft of it  then. I liked the design except I did not like the extra fabric in the back. To much excess. So this time I took out some of the extra to reduce the poof. I laid the bottom portion of the back down and folded in on either side until it matched the top placket. It ended up being about 1 1/2 inches on each side. 

Once I had that accomplished I moved on to laying out my pieces on the fabric I had chosen.

This is from the Gertie line at Joann Fabrics. It's a beautiful cotton sateen and is just scrumptious! I also chose the clear faceted buttons so it had a little improvised sparkle when finished.

Here are the pieces laid out prior to cutting. I used my living room floor for extra space since I don't have a sewing room. I'm going to have to boot one of the kids out before I get that. They seem to be hanging around, so it may be awhile.

After I had it all cut out and was ready to sew tragedy struck. My youngest daughter let her friend use my favorite machine to stitch an Indian Princess dress...... And she broke it! The threading cassette wouldn't go in and the threader itself was bent. I was heartbroken! Dang kids! Think I'll have to cut her out of the will.

Thankfully, I have a back up machine, which is also a Brother, and I was able to get back to work. It took several weeks to get it together because we had our foundation repaired, flooring ripped up, new furniture delivered, and multiple lake trips that kept me from my machine. But, with a weekend finally available I decided to jump in. While starting to pin it I realized I wanted a little extra on this one. So I bought some rick rack for trim to bring out a pop of the pink. I think it worked. I trimmed the sleeves, collar, skirt bottom, and either side of the button placket. I really like the finished effect. 

I finished it today and I was worried it wouldn't fit because the waist looked really small during assembly. I was pleasantly surprised when I put it on and it buttoned right up. To finish the look I purchased a belt off of Amazon the matched the rick rack. I love the over all look and I'm glad I did the sew along.

No comments:

Post a Comment